Belated due to traveling by air, land, and water (see above)! Here’s this year’s installment of the now-traditional meme I’ve done for three years: at the end of 2009, the end of 2010, and the end of 2011.
1. What did you do in 2012 that you’d never done before?
- Visited countries in the Middle East and in the southern hemisphere, neither of which I’d set foot in before. (More to come on those visits soon :) )
- Wore a significant amount of clothes that I’d sewn myself – before it had been one or two items, but in 2012, probably 20% of what I wore was handmade.
- Wrote a book – more to come on this soon as well!
- Voted in two presidential elections (dual citizenship): France and the US
2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Normally I don’t make resolutions, so there weren’t any to keep from last year. However, this year I do have a resolution:
- Act from a place of inner peace.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Not of a child, no.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
My UO School of Music Dean (from when I attended, 1994-1997), in horrific circumstances: Anne Dhu McLucas. No one who knew her would ever have imagined such an ending for her vibrant, warm personality.
5. What countries did you visit?
Australia and Qatar, with an absolutely wonderful time with a friend and other friends made once in Australia.
6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?
Last year I answered “I’m at a place where I genuinely don’t feel I’m lacking anything important.” At this beginning of 2013, that sentiment has actually increased, for which I’m immensely grateful. I would hope that 2013 continues to build on friendships and peace.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
9. What was your biggest failure?
Again… I didn’t manage to get my bathroom water damage repaired. This is a priority for 2013, really honestly seriously, heh.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
2012 was not so great in the illness department. Lots of flus and colds, as well as a couple of nasty infections. No injuries, however. I hope 2013 will be healthier!
11. What was the best thing you bought?
My media cabinet! It has been so nice to have a put-together living room, finally.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
In the two previous years, I answered that of my friends. This year, one friend in particular stood out: Sue in Perth, who so generously housed and fed me as well as showing me her part of the world. Thanks to her, I have warm and enjoyable memories for a lifetime.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
This goes together with the answer to 8, personal growth: this year I learned how (and most importantly, why) not to let others’ bad behavior get to me so much. So, no one in particular very much stands out in the negative, since I was able to move on from the consequences in good time.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Mortgage, travel, food, sewing patterns and fabric.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Visiting Australia, naturally!
16. What song will always remind you of 2012?
Chemical Brothers music and the theme to Downton Abbey.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Happier, which I honestly didn’t believe possible.
b) thinner or thicker? Same.
c) richer or poorer? Richer, again, though that’s still not saying much :)
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Playing my digital piano. I’ve been out of habit for so long that I still neglect it too much.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
I’m thinking about this and can’t come up with anything, just as last year.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
Hot. Very hot. 43°C/110°F hot. Meeting neat people and drinking stubbies (beer) in Toodyay, Western Australia. We had a great time!
21. Did you fall in love in 2012?
Stopped looking for it and enjoyed the friendships and love already surrounding me.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
“Downton Abbey” in spite of all its rose-colored upper-class faults.
23. What was the best book you read?
Do sewing patterns count? :) If so, definitely Vogue 8808 (this links to the dress I sewed from it).
24. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Nothing really stood out as memorable, although I did discover some new stuff, of course.
25. What did you want and get?
Meeting new friends and reconnecting with old.
26. What did you want and not get?
My stinking bathroom renovation ;)
27. What was your favorite film of this year?
The new Bond, “Skyfall”.
28. What did you do on your birthday?
29. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Wow, 2012 was wonderfully satisfying as it was.
30. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012?
Independent and soul-searching; self-made
31. What kept you sane?
As last year, friends and creativity, Kanoko and Susu (my cats).
32. What political issue stirred you the most?
Voting in not one, but two presidential elections: France’s and the USA’s
33. Who did you miss?
34. Who was the best new person you met?
Last year I answered “Sue! We need to meet IRL too :)” and this year we actually did meet!
35. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012:
Taking the time to act with integrity towards my values and emotions is absolutely worth it.
36. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
This year is instrumental, no lyrics. Acid Brass: What Time Is Love?