A meme that’s been making the rounds:
1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?
Called French national police (gendarmes) to my home due to a dangerous, mentally ill neighbor (glad I’ve only had to do that once); painted my walls (had never done home painting before).
2. Did you keep your New Years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don’t make resolutions.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes, several colleagues had babies! They’re all adorable and healthy.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Last year was one of the first years I can remember in which no one close to me passed away.
5. What countries did you visit?
Italy and Switzerland
6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
Better physical shape: I didn’t bike as much as I wanted to, and am starting a simple upper-body strength program (push ups and sit ups).
7. What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
It was an eventful year, I could name many things; but seeing kabuki performed by highly talented actors and musicians was incredible.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Restoring the beautiful original “tomettes” floor in my apartment, on my own.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not managing to get my bathroom water damage repaired
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I came down with swine flu, which was the worst illness I’ve had since my childhood
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Paint for my walls
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My brother’s. He’s awesome.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
I plead the Fifth
14. Where did most of your money go?
Mortgage and food
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Coming home every evening to my dear, sweet kitties and a comfy bed. Simple pleasures are often the best.
16. What song will always remind you of 2009?
None in particular
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Happier
b) thinner or fatter? Same, but in a bit worse shape
c) richer or poorer? Less in debt, so “richer” :)
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Seeing friends, sewing, writing, biking
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Reading websites (even if they are informative)
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
Spent it at home with Kanoko, Grey, and a delicious home-cooked meal
21. Did you fall in love in 2009?
No, but friendships deepened, which was great
22. How many one-night stands?
My reading lamp is on the same one nightstand I’ve had for a while now. (Yeah, I’ve never had a one-night stand and never will.)
23. What was your favorite TV program?
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
I don’t do hate. Such a pointless waste of energy.
25. What was the best book you read?
26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Old university friends sharing videos from when we were in marching band 14-16 years ago. (For instance, Oregon Marching Band at the 1995 Rose Bowl!)
27. What did you want and get?
Adopted a second cat, earned a raise, and got a small oven
28. What did you want and not get?
I’d have liked to find someone neat with whom to start a relationship.
29. What was your favorite film of this year?
30. What did you do on your birthday?
31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Can’t really say
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
Chic French hippy business
33. What kept you sane?
Getting home every evening and opening my front door to the sight of my two cats, purring and excited to see me
34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Eh. I’ve never really fancied famous people, because I know that I don’t know who they really are.
35. What political issue stirred you the most?
Health care for the US, the ridiculous “identité nationale” so-called “debate” in France
36. Who did you miss?
My brother and my cousins!
37. Who was the best new person you met?
I didn’t get to know any new people very well
38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009:
One I’ve long known, that keeps getting confirmed as life goes on: sincerity and integrity, along with compassion, earn respect, and even when overlooked, give you an inner strength that keeps you going during the worst of times.
39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
Encore un matin, ami, ennemi (Another morning, friend, enemy)
Entre la raison et l’envie (Between reason and desire)
Matin pour agir ou attendre la chance (Morning to act or to wait for luck)
Ou bousculer les évidences (Or to shake up things taken for granted)
Matin innocence, matin intelligence (Morning innocence, morning intelligence)
C’est toi qui décide du sens (You’re the one who chooses the meaning)
– Jean-Jacques Goldman, Encore un matin